Clitheroe Civic Society

Caring for the future of Clitheroe

The recent decision by English Heritage to try to compile a complete register of commemorative plaques throughout England has resulted in the Clitheroe Civic Society being asked to take responsibility for listing all appropriate plaques within our area and for maintaining a watching brief on their condition. The plaques shown in photographs below are the ones we believe to be covered by this arrangement and the Committee would appreciate the help of all members, Clitheroe residents and visitors in maintaining this watch. Please report any interference with or deterioration of any of the plaques either via this web-site or directly to any Committee member.

------------------------------------------------------------

Capt James King

 

Originally, the plaque was positioned quite high on the King Lane elevation of the Yorkshire Bank as seen above but, in late summer 2013,  we resited it to a lower, more readable position as now seen below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Development of the Jet Engine in Clitheroe

 

This agreement brought the development of Frank Whittle's jet engine to Clitheroe and many of the town's older inhabitants will have been familiar with the whine of engine testing at the "Back Factory" at Waterloo.

This plaque is sited in Whittle Close - named, of course, after Sir Frank Whittle - which is on the site of the "Back Factory". Positioned, unfortunately, under heavy vegetation, the plaque had suffered but was renovated by Ribble Valley Borough Council in early summer 2014.

The plaque is near the top of the brick pillar to the right of the photograph and is usually hidden under the growth of ivy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Heild Well in Wellgate

A stainless steel plaque provided by the Soroptimists International in 1992.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St Mary's Well in WellTerrace

Another plaque supplied by the Soroptimists International.

------------------------------------------------------------

Stock Well at Castle field off Parson Lane

This is a cast iron plaque provided by the Clitheroe Civic Society in 2010 to replace a stainless steel one provided by the Soroptimists International but which was subsequently stolen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Cottages Restoration at Bawdlands

------------------------------------------------------------

Henry de Lacy's 1307 Salthill Charter

This plaque is on Lincoln Way at the foot of the steps leading to the old Salthill Quarry which now holds the Geological Trail

------------------------------------------------------------

Henry de Lacy's Charter of 1147 granting Borough Status to the town

 

 This plaque is mounted on the wall of the former Town Hall, now part of the Clitheroe Library

------------------------------------------------------------

Situated just inside the main entrance to the Castle grounds at the foot of the steps leading to the Keep

------------------------------------------------------------